Montreal’s Sud-Ouest Death – The Montreal police has reported the death of an 8-year-old boy who died after being hit by a car on Wednesday afternoon, July 22, in Montreal’s Sud-Ouest.
According to the police report, the child was hit while crossing the street at the corner of St-Ambroise and Square-Sir-George-Etienne-Cartier streets at around 4 p.m.
The car was being driven by a 34-year-old woman. She was traveling east with a 31-year-old passenger when they came to a halt on St-Ambroise due to a stop sign, says Montreal police spokesperson Const. Caroline Chèvrefils.
Chèvrefils said it was when the woman drove forward at the stop that she struck the boy.
The boy who was conscious when the first responders arrived, suffered injuries to his lower body and was transported to hospital by ambulance where he was later pronounced dead.
The driver and her passenger were treated at the scene for shock.
An investigation that lasted for about three hours was immediately conducted by the police as the area was temporarily cordoned.
The police had no reason to suspect drugs or alcohol were involved and no charges have been laid, but police are investigating, says Chèvrefils.
Report says the boy was coming out of the CRCS Saint-Zotique summer daycamp when he was hit. The camp will be closed Thursday and Friday.
According to Sud-Ouest borough Mayor Benoit Dorais post on Facebook, psychological and professional help will be offered to staff and to anyone who may need it.
Once the investigation concludes, the city “will make sure all recommended safety measures are put into place,” says Dorais.
Dorais also said although investigation is still ongoing yet, there is no reason to believe at this point that speeding was a factor.
Records have this to be the 11th fatal pedestrian collision this year in Montreal. Last year by mid-July a total of 12 pedestrians had been killed after being hit by vehicles.